Wednesday 8 May 2013

Pakistanian

It was really hard to pronounce her name - Urooj Fatima. She is from Pakistan studying business administration  in Tartu's University. 
She was so outgoing and friendly that we chatted for 25 minutes I think. She told me how she loves Tartu - it's quiet and small but there are still things to do. She came in Tartu because she wanted to be close to her brother who studies in Helsinki.
When I asked her to tell me the biggest difference between Estonia and Pakistan she told me that in Pakistan drinking isn't allowed but here it's quite common. 
The favourite thing about Estonia is "kama" (for non-estonian: kama is a traditional food in Estonia, it is finely milled flour mixture). 
Some people believe that Estonians are reserved and emotionless nation. She told me that this is absolutely not truth. There was one story she shared about Estonians' kindness:

"I have met some really nice and kind Estonians but one story that sticks out in particular is from the time I was very new to Tartu. I lost my way and was helped by this elderly Estonian woman who didn't know any English. But she went out of her way to find somebody for me who could speak English. 
Another thing is I have found myself really liking Estonian names here. They are so short and brief, moreover they sound so pretty. I am actually tempted to name my future children Talv and Tuuli. Talv coming from winter in Estonian and Tuuli from wind. But I also wonder if it would be a bit weird having children named after Estonian names back in Pakistan. I love how Estonian language sounds and how beautiful it is but I find it difficult to learn."


No comments:

Post a Comment